Our Business Law Group specializes in assisting our clients with their investments into and ongoing business operations in Asia. Our Business Law Group is lead by Canadian, French and other international lawyers who work with teams of highly skilled local lawyers, accountants and business professionals throughout Asia to assist our clients with their Asia-based legal, finance and business consulting needs. Our experts have a broad range of experience working across industries and our services are underpinned by an in-depth understanding of local business practices in the respective Asian countries in which our clients invest.
Whether a start-up project or the acquisition of existing operations, we assist with all areas of law including: company establishment, trademark and intellectual property registrations, opening subsequent offices, corporate restructuring, due diligence during asset or company acquisitions, background checks on potential customers and business partners, creating shareholders, joint venture and strategic alliance agreements, drafting licensing, financing and franchising contracts, advising on employment, environmental and industry specific laws, assisting with work related to a company’s fulfillment of human resources, social insurance, accounting and tax obligations, advising on property ownership structures in Asia, completing real estate transactions and assisting with tax structuring and wealth preservation.
We support our clients throughout the start and expansion of their businesses and share expertise and resources between our member firms to provide our clients with the best support available in Asia. An example of services we provide includes the following:
- Market-entry research and advice on tax-efficient and suitable corporate structures
- Establishing offshore companies in Hong Kong, Singapore, BVI or Caymans and operating companies in China, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Indonesia, Malaysia or Philippines and/or other overseas or off-shore companies, trusts or partnerships
- Reorganization of a company’s corporate structure of subsidiaries and related companies to rationalize its operations or make them more tax-effective
- Legal research and opinions on the laws of Hong Kong, China, Japan, Canada, Europe, Thailand, Singapore and Southeast Asia
- Advice in relation to investing in Hong Kong, China, Japan, Thailand, Singapore and Southeast Asia, including the appropriate form of investment vehicle, licensing and approval procedures and entering into contractual arrangements with customers and business partners
- Implementing intellectual property protection schemes and registering trademarks, patents, copyrights and intellectual property licensing agreements
- Legal consulting regarding business activities such as financing, contract negotiations and dispute settlement
- Assisting businesses with daily operations and administrative work (our consultants and accountants provide outsourced accounting and human resources services)
- Ensuring that clients comply with local laws in Asia and international anti-bribery laws
- Employment related services (hiring and terminating employees, resolving workplace disputes, creating social insurance payment accounts, obtaining work visas, etc.)
- Providing services to assist clients with expansion plans or exit strategies such as acquisitions, the sale of a business and public listings